As well as the off-street car parks and on-street pay and display parking, NSC  are also responsible for enforcing

  • double and single yellow lines
  • blue badge bays
  • limited waiting bays
  • taxi ranks
  • loading bays
  • parking in bus lanes and stops
  • zig-zag markings at schools (if restrictions apply) and pedestrian crossings
  • parking across dropped kerbs where there’s a crossing point, with or without tactile paving
  • double parking (parking too far from the kerb)

You can report illegal parking to the council online. It will use your report to plan future patrols.

The police will continue to be responsible for dealing with:
  • dangerously parked vehicles including where there are no parking restrictions in place such as on bends, brows of hills and junctions
  • obstruction offences – for example pavement with no parking restrictions
  • moving traffic offences including double white lines, one-way traffic, white hatched areas and box junctions

You can report these issues to the police by calling 101.

Parking across dropped kerbs where there’s a crossing point and tactile paving, double parking or parking too far from the kerb and parking on zig-zag markings at pedestrian crossings can be enforced by both us and the police.

A homeowner has no special legal right to park directly outside their property. All road users have the same right to park anywhere on the public highway as long as they do not contravene parking restrictions

Keep clear markings

These are white H shaped advisory markings that are painted in front of a driveway to draw attention to a dropped kerb and encourage people not to park across across it.

The marking is only painted across the extent of the dropped kerb, from one taper to the other. If you want the marking to go across a neighbour’s property you need to have written permission from the owner or occupier. This also applies to shared access – all properties will need to agree in writing.

Applying for a keep clear marking

To apply for a marking, contact:

  • your ward councillor if you live in Clevedon, Nailsea, Portishead or Weston-super-Mare
  • your parish council if you live elsewhere in North Somerset

They will review your application and consider whether parked cars are regularly causing an obstruction.

Markings are not normally provided if the councillor or your neighbours refuse the application, or if the location already has double yellow lines.

The councillor or parish council will explain their decision in writing. If they approve your request, you should forward their letter to NSC, with any other supporting information or necessary consents.

When NSC receive your application they will invoice you for £95 and include the marking on the next available lining works order for our contractor. The width of the H bar will be 50mm.

NSC don’t routinely maintain these markings. If you want to have a marking repainted you should apply using the same process so NSC can check that it still meets the criteria for a marking.


There are no comments yet.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked (*).

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Skip to toolbar